Northern Haserot and its affiliate companies, C.A. Curtze and JFS Foodservice, have a long and storied history spanning over 100 years. In 1878 Charles August Curtze opened his wholesale business, C.A. Curtze in Erie, Pa., supplying foods and other merchandise to retail merchants, as well as oil and lumber camps of that era. Flour, sugar, spices, coffee and canned goods, as well as gun powder and kerosene were the staples of the day.
In 1884 Brandt Meats was founded in Cleveland, Ohio specializing as a purveyor of fine meat and seafood to the retail and restaurant trade. In 1889 The Haserot Grocery Company was founded and became one of the Midwest's leading grocery distribution companies. In 1952 Northern Frozen Foods was founded in Cleveland, Ohio as a retail frozen food distributor.
In 1966 the Kern Family, the owners of the C.A. Curtze Co., purchased Northern Frozen Foods. In 1968, C.A. Curtze purchased General Meats which would then become Specialty Steak Service, a USDA meat processing facility supplying portion controlled meats to the foodservice industry.
In 1976 Northern Frozen Foods purchased the Haserot Grocery Company and quickly became Northern Haserot sharing a warehouse on the near west side of downtown Cleveland. Nearly a decade later, in 1985, Northern Haserot purchased Brandt Meats of Cleveland. The latest acquisition occurred in 2002 when the Kern family purchased JFS Foodservice in Rochester, NY.
Today the fourth and fifth generations continue to operate Northern Haserot and its affiliate companies as the leading independent foodservice distributors in the Midwest and Mid Atlantic.